Tuesday, June 13, 2006

'Untrue South'
What is with people desperately wanting to sound intelligent or with others trying to lure you with what a friend of mine calls reverse-reverse psychology (of which he accuses me of employing –pah!). Also my roommate and good friend (love ya really!) has been really annoying me with all the Hindi she’s been spewing left, right and centre , polluting the ‘holy’ mann ina maga’s land. And she’s not the only one. The other day when all was well with the world, I skipped along to buy some curd.There I was all tanned and as brown as any South Indian could get, looking slightly lost, as there was all milk and no vendor around. I could have made off with a handful of the stuff but that was not what I really wanted at that point.So, I sigh sadly and am about to turn back when a voice speaks from somewhere in the hazy background which was perhaps the only thing that could have made me change colour. I turned a deep shade of claret, fuming inside but you know, me being me, maintained my cool. I mean I was really cucumber, I was almost icy when I managed to reply to his blasephemous ‘kya chahiye? Dood? (made on the soil of namavaru Rajkumar- mannina maga himself- I mean the ‘doodwallah’ bah). My icy stare is doing nothing to faze him, so I accompany it with ‘halu beda, mosaru idiya?’. Still no impact. “Nahi hey”, pat comes the infuriating reply. God I’m going to give up on all original Bangaloreans if they choose to be so subservient to an Aryan language and race.

And man do I blame people like my above mentioned friend. So it’s okay (barely) to use Hindi in Hyderabad but here in Kannada land to use it is unforgivable. Even in Bangalore, her first words are of the horrid non-dravidian tongue when she approaches strangers (vendors or otherwise) –“bhaiya…” Lots of my original Bangalorean friends pretend or perhaps refuse to learn their native tongue. It’s a pity and a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home